This contains information about coded values used during Connectathon testing
of document sharing profiles -- XDS, XCA, MHD
Several IHE Profiles for Document Sharing rely on coded values provided in the metadata when documents are submitted and searched. IHE defines the structure of the document metadata as well as coded values for some metadata attributes; however, allowable values for many of the coded values are defined by the Affinity Domain that will deploy and support the document sharing systems.
For testing of Document Sharing profiles at IHE North America and Europe Connectathons, the set of allowable code values is controlled and documented by IHE Technical Project Managers and Bill Majurski (in the NIST XDS Toolkit).
This page describes where to find the set of allowable codes for Connectathon testing.
Connectathon Metadata Codes (codes.xml) for 2020 IHE Connectathons
For IHE NA and EU Connectathons in 2020, allowable codes for Document Sharing metadata are distributed here:
- xml format - This codes.xml is compatible with the NIST XDS Toolkit.
- spreadsheet format - For readability, this spreadsheet of codes is equivalent to codes.xml andcontains a tab for most of the metadata attributes that need to be configured. The spreadsheet also has some additional detail that is not carried forward into the codes.xml file (too much bloat). The codes.xml file contains coded values but no history or comments on specific entries. To find the original source for a particular attribute, you can read the summary tab in this spreadsheet. For detailed comments on individual elements, you can refer to the appropriate tab in that same spreadsheet.
These codes are also available in two other formats, but values of codes in these formats may not exactly match those in codes.xml above.
- In the NIST XDS Toolkit -
- Toolkit distribution: https://github.com/usnistgov/iheos-toolkit2/wiki/Toolkit
- SVS format - The Gazelle SVS Simulator tool hosts many value sets, including codes for metadata attributes.
Connectathon Metadata Value Sets: Details on Specific Metadata Attributes
These documentEntry metadata attributes have defined codes for the Connectathon Affinity Domain.
Connectathon Metadata Value Sets: History
The coded values used for Connectathon testing have been managed in the (well known) codes.xml file that is part of Bill Majurki's XDS Toolkit software. This file contains data structures that define the sets of legal values for various metadata fields required for Cross Enterprise Document Sharing. Entries we made in this file in response to certain demands, such as:
- NIST wrote conformance tests that required a set of coded values to execute the tests.
- An organization outside of NIST requested extensions to the code table for project specific testing. This is most likely a government agency that is testing in advance of an actual deployment.
- We discovered a gap during a Connectathon and added a coded value.
Many of the coded values did not follow the structure that is normally used in the industry for coded values. This did not cause any software or testing problems, but many of the codes were clearly not intended for production use.
The HL7(R) FHIR(R) specification defines a different format for representing coded values, and this required a change in the format of the codes.xml file. Given this necessary change, this is a good opportunity to update both the structure and content of the codes.xml file and therefore the code values used for IHE testing of Cross Enterprise Document Sharing.